GRANNY'S SANDS


For a short of period of my life, I lived with my grandmother, Granny. She was a big influence in my life, especially in her love of food. She was an amazing cook. Every year at Christmas, she made the most unbelievable fudge and sands (now called Mexican Wedding Cookies).
I have yet to find or duplicate the recipe for the fudge, but I did find the recipe for the sands.
When I first made them, I miscalculated the amount of butter and had to add a stick of melted butter at the end to make the dough come together. A disaster that turned out to be the better way to make these cookies. I have tried them with the proper amount of butter as the recipe indicates and the way that I initially made them. I also have added the rice flour to the recipe. Anytime I want a cookie that is a bit crispy, I add rice flour.
As it turns out, the disaster way is the best method. I am sharing with you the best method recipe.


GRANNY'S SANDS
  • 1 stick soft butter
  • 1 stick of melted butter
  • 8 Tablespoons of sugar
  • 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 Tablespoon of Rice Flour
  • 2 Cups Chopped Pecans
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Place softened butter and 8 Tablespoons sugar in the bowl of mixer. Beat together until incorporated. Add flours nuts and vanilla. Beat at slow speed until this comes together. Add 1 stick of melted butter. Mix just until incorporated. Roll into small balls and place on baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.

Bake 25 - 30 minutes or just until they start to brown. Rotate sheets half way through baking process.
Remove from oven and immediately sift xxx sugar over the top.

Makes about 6 dozen.
Store in airtight tin.

0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
Cooking Confections
Mother/Step-Mother of 5 (Blended family), Grandmother of 9 precious grandchildren - 7 stateside and 2 in London. Cooking is my passion and stress release, Lived in the Charleston, SC area all my life, love to travel to England and Italy.
View my complete profile

Labels

Powered by Blogger.