THE Perfect Pound Cake



There is just that tiny hint of Fall in the air. Tiptoeing outside at 5:30 to get the paper, I could feel it, smell it! Where is the blanket of humidity that we experience here in the South? I hope it is gone for good... but I doubt it. In the meantime, I will enjoy any day where the humidity is lower than 50%. That is a good thing.
Now on to THE Perfect Pound Cake - this recipe is thanks to my step-son, Thomas, a great guy and good cook. He always makes this for family occasions and was sweet enough to share it with me. Now you can enjoy this family favorite.
With Pound Cake, the methodology is the most important part. Do not ever, ever over beat it once the dry ingredients have been added. That is the secret to THE Perfect Pound Cake.

THE PERFECT POUND CAKE

  • 3 Cups Sugar
  • 2 Sticks of Real Butter (at room temperature)
  • 6 Large Eggs (at room temperature)
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract (or 1 Tbs. Almond Extract)
  • 3 Cups All Purpose Flour (measured before sifting)
  • 1 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 8 Ounces of Sour Cream

Prepare 10 cup pound cake pan or bundt pan. Butter liberally and dust with flour.
Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.

Place butter and sugar in large mixing bowl. Beat until well mixed.
Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each egg.
Add the extract. Beat will to incorporate.
Sift the dry ingredients on to a sheet of wax paper.
Slowly add 1/4 dry ingredients. Turn mixer to slow speed and mix just until incorporated.
Add 1/2 cup of sour cream. Slowly mix until incorporated.
Add 1/2 of remaining dry ingredients. Slowly mix just until incorporated.
Add remaining sour cream and repeat as above.
Add the last of the dry ingredients and repeat as above.
Remember, this is critical. Just mix until incorporated.
Pour batter into prepared pan and place in oven.
Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes.
Turn oven down to 300 degrees and bake for 60 -65 minutes. (In my oven, I bake for exactly 63 minutes).
During the initial cooking process, do not open oven.
To test for doneness, just cake tester. If it comes out with crumbs, it is done.
Remove from oven and place on wire rack for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, remove from pan.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Sallie, I cannot wait to start baking! Tis the season for me to bake. You are an inspiration. This blog is truly perfect for you. I remember clearly the first time I met you fabulous food of your confection was involved. It was a Holy Cross VBS luncheon 15 years ago at least and you must have made a huge pot of chili for hundreds. Very tasty and the actual texture was perfecto! May I suggest a "Recipes by Request" entry to your blog? First request of course is mine...hotdog chili for a 100!

Susan

Anonymous said...

HEY!
I just wanted to say thanks for my package, which has arrived and been blogged about here: http://www.boybeater.org/2008/10/bbm-10-items-or-less.html
The grits were dead on what I wanted! Thank you!!!!

About Me

My Photo
Cooking Confections
Mother/Step-Mother of 5 (Blended family), Grandmother of 9 precious grandchildren - 7 stateside and 2 in London. Cooking is my passion and stress release, Lived in the Charleston, SC area all my life, love to travel to England and Italy.
View my complete profile

Labels

Powered by Blogger.