2/14/2011 08:06:00 AM | Posted by Cooking Confections | | Edit Post
This delicious, tasty Luscious Lemon Pie was devoured by us and your dinner guests last night. Just a peek at Spring!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice - I used Meyer Lemons
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream, sweetened and whipped
All ingredients should be at room temperature.
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
Butter a 9 inch pie plate - use glass it is better.
Beat the egg whites in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add 1 cup sugar gradually and the cream of tartar. Beat constantly until stiff peaks form.
Spread over bottom and up the side of the pie plate.
Bake at 300 degrees until golden brown. This is about 45 minutes to an hour.
Remove from oven and cool.
While the shell is baking, make the lemon filling.
Slightly beat the egg yolks in the top of a double boiler.
Add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel and salt. Mix well.
Cook over hot water until thickened, stirring constantly.
Remove from stove and cool.
When cool, fold in 2/3 of the whipped cream.
Pour over the bake meringue shell.
Top with the remaining whipped cream.
Chill until set. About 4 hours or so.
Serves eight - if you slice small.
- Cooking Confections
- Mother/Step-Mother of 5 (Blended family), Grandmother of 9 precious grandchildren - 7 stateside and 2 in London. Cooking is my passion and stress release, Lived in the Charleston, SC area all my life, love to travel to England and Italy.
My Blog List
Powered by Blogger.